Do you have any tips/suggestions to prepare for a BCI position interview?

Hi Mike and other members,

I am going to appear in an interview for the post of BCI engineer next week. Though, my field of interest and my past research [my Ph.D.] is a specific application of BCI (Neurofeedback), but, I am still wondering what kind of questions they can ask. I will appreciate it if you have any suggestions for preparation and your ideas about the general questions. It would be great if there is any sources/documents that can help me in preparations.

Please accept my apology if this something completely irrelevant to this platform.

Thanks,
Rab Nawaz

1 Like

Hi Nawaz. Interviews vary widely depending on the industry, the type of position, and the interviewer. So I can speak for myself when I’m hiring.

I don’t have a specific list of questions that I ask. Instead, I try to engage and challenge the candidates in a discussion about research, experiment design, possible data analyses, and related issues. I also like to ask them about their style in terms of working independently vs. in a team. I’m not really looking for specific answers per se, but I want to see whether they are thinking clearly and critically. If all the answers are vague and positive “oh yeah, that sounds interesting. Sure, yes, I would like that.” then that’s a bad sign to me. I want to see candidates who are engaged and critical, and not just saying what I think they think I want to hear.

Another thing I look for is candidates who have done their research about the topics in my lab. For example, when I ask “do you have any questions for me about the lab, research, etc” if they say “no” then that’s also a bad sign.

So I guess my advice is to prepare for the interview by making sure you are familiar with the company’s previous and current work. Come prepared with a few questions about their vision for the future, their work style (e.g., do you have the space to do your own development or do all employees do the boss’s ideas?), what they expect from you, and what your future possibilities there would be (ranging from contract lengths and extensions to promotions). And if you disagree with them in a conversation, make sure you say that, but do it politely, e.g., “That’s an interesting approach, but I wonder if you’ve tried doing it this other way?”

Anyway, good luck! I hope it works out.

Mike

1 Like

Thank you so much Mike.