ISPC and CCor measure comparison for hyperscanning

Hi there,

First of all, complete fan of your material Mike, incredibly comprehensive, i only have eternal gratitude for you, thanks for what you do.

Second, I have a question with inter-personal measures of choice. Burgess (2013) proposes CCor as a measure that would be appropriate to measure the phase-connectivity at a given site between two persons, but after reading your book, it seems like ISPC, due to how phase-angles differences are generated for each time point over trials, looks a more accurate measure, maybe even more restrictive, to use between two persons. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Vicente. Thanks for your kind words, I’m glad you’re finding the books and videos useful.

I don’t know what to recommend, because I’m not familiar with CCor. But if it’s designed to be suitable specifically for inter-brain synchronization, then I would (naively) guess that it’s better than ISPC. On the other hand, why not use both methods and report both sets of results? That will allow you to determine whether your findings are method-specific or are seen using different approaches.

Sorry, CCor is Circular Correlation, it is not an inter-brain specific measure per se, it is more of a conventionalism than any other thing, something people just decided to use, as Phase-Loked Value (PSV), for instance. I might try using both methods.

Thanks for your response!

Ah right, circular correlation. Sorry, I thought you were referring to some exotic analysis developed in the hyper-scanning community…

Anyway, my recommendation still holds: Try both methods and report both results!