Periodicity in EEG

Hi Mike,

I have a question regarding periodicity in EEG. Apart from Fourier Transform what other methods are used to detect and quantify/model it? Any method, paper or suggestion would be useful.

Thanks,
Qyqa

Hi Qyqa. There are many such methods. The most common are FFT, wavelet convolution, narrowband filtering, and autoregressive modeling. They are all conceptually the same or very similar, and differ mostly in terms of implementation details and flexibility towards particular outcomes.

If you want some educational resources, you might consider checking out my YT channel.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply. How about any paper that you are aware of that tries to answer the same question? I have applied ‘Periodicity Transfrorm’ and Autoperiod but usually these methods are not used in EEG but time series in general or signals in other fields.
Qyqa

Well, there are literally thousands of papers in the EEG field that involve rhythmicity analyses, and I’d guess >99% of them use one of the methods I mentioned above. There might be another dozen or so other rhythm-extracting methods that are published in methods journals, and which generally haven’t caught on in the field.

If you’re interested in an introduction to these methods, you can consider my ANTS textbook, which has a strong focus on these issues.

1 Like

btw, I really like the name “Qyqa” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Qyga,

Maybe this paper would be of interest to you: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-020-00744-x.epdf

Regards,

Rasa

1 Like