Who asks and who answers?

Do you ever ask yourself a question and then answer it? Who are these two people having a Socratic dialog? If you already know the answer (obviously you do, since you answered), then why ask the question? Anyone else spend way too much time over-thinking this??

2 Likes

Thinking hurts my brain. I cannot be bothered with it. :smile:

Hi All,

I had a professor in linguistics on college. He told us, if you are having a loud conversation with yourself hearing the sentences help you to make things more conscious.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed, an interesting distinction between the “feel” of consciousness that is based on language vs. direct sensory experience. To me, language feels stronger but coarse, whereas non-language consciousness feels ephemeral but richer. I guess you can’t have it all ;0

I worked for a quite long period of time as a photo journalist/event photographer. That means that you have to learn to be sensitive and aware related to the environment and that you do not affect it (kind of highest principle in Star Trek :smiley: ). Otherwise there won’t be good photographs at the end of the day.

Still I wasn’t a popular among attendees as when they saw the taken photographs they realised how they are really without the preconcept they think they are. Although obviously pictures aren’t of auditory inputs, the analogy is quite the same. Who I think I am, and who I am really for the outside world.

Sorry if it turned away, from the initial taught.

Your question is similar to one I used to ask my mom as a child, “why am I in this body and not in someone else’s?” What’s this “I” that feels seperate, yet intertwined, from this other, more physical, “me” that I recognize as the body?

You know how baby ducks imprint? At birth they recognize the first thing they see as their mother. I’ve read some accounts, though I haven’t confirmed if this is actually true, that some animals that imprint on other species tend to have difficulty socializing with their own species, and even recognizing their own species as they grow older. Obviously this phenomenon is an evolved reaction to increase survivability.

But what about us humans? Did we evolve this too? Do we imprint? We don’t usually go around questioning our “humanness”. It’s obvious! Or is it? Perhaps there’s more to it.

Have you ever tried to grasp the sensation of existing? It’s like a horse trying to bite a carrot on a fishing line. But I think it’s pivotal in answering your question, “who are these two people having a dialogue,” which I feel is made more difficult by the innate tendency to identify as people.

What if you weren’t just a person? What if this sensation of existence was the same feeling as the feeling you feel as “nothing”? For a second, focus on the empty space around you…what the hell is this stuff? Or this lack of stuff? Is there something more to this “emptiness”, this “nothing”? Have you tried to grasp the sensation of existence–of consciousness? When you do, you reach this “nothing”.

As humans we see and experience “nothing” as an external phenomenon beyond the boundaries of our physical bodies. But “nothing” surrounds us all, always, inside and outside. You can always focus on the “nothing” because it’s always there, just like the sensation of existence. Are the two the same?

If you are “nothing” then you are also “everything”, and doesn’t consciousness to some strange extent make you feel like you are the center of everything? After all, the only thing you can truly know is that you exist – “I think therefore, I am”.

Hmm. But that doesn’t make much sense. “Nothing” exists beyond thought. A thought occurs within the “nothing”. Maybe Descartes was wrong, perhaps the idea of being a person affected his perspective. Thinking is an action that comes from within “nothing” – consciousness.

“I am, therefore I think” makes more sense to me. Because this “nothing” sensation exists when my mind doesn’t, and in death is there also “nothing”? If I were to ask you, “what were you doing before you were born” could you tell me? What if I asked you to imagine NOT existing, could you imagine it? What would it feel like? Would you picture a vast empty void, a sense of “nothing”-- the sensation of existence, consciousness?

I believe that the one who asks and the one who answers is an illusion created by a perspective of thinking you are a seperate entity, when in reality “nothing” is what you are, and within this “nothing” flourishes everything that you also are. And the question itself, this burning need to know, is desire in its rawest. But how does desire arise from “nothing”?

Well I guess that’s the question.

I do often, I think this is very common behavior similar to when you think something in head but you still make it as a noise in your head :slight_smile: